December 2016

CARPENTRY & EPOXY WORKS

The first thing  we had to do this month  was to take measurements for the interior woodwork. That  included a double V-berth in the forepeak, a starboard berth in the main cabin and a full stern berth, as well as some other small wood lockers and shelves.
After looking around in the area for some marine plywood, we finally decided to go for a french imported “Okoume” ply which was the best we could find. Most of it was 12 mm thick.

The weather was getting a bit warmer so we left  aside the carpentry and started preparations for the first epoxy works that had to be done before it got too cold.

We also had to cover the hull from the outside with polyester(used usually for filling up cushions and jackets) to protect as much as possible from the cold and the humidity.
The  famous”Dolmadaki” protection 🙂

Preparation for the epoxy session took a couple of days. All the areas had to be cleaned and dust free in order to garanty a perfect bond.  Every fiberglass cloth was cutted to match the according repair. Then the cloths were organised in numbers and packed separately in plastic folders to avoid any contamination.

EPOXY SESSION : PART 1
Started at 10:30 after heating up the boat from 7 am.
Non stop work for 5 hours. After finishing all the epoxy we had to keep the temperature above 20 degrees celcius for at least 5-7 hours to allow the epoxy to fully cured.

Since there was a wide opening under the toilet double mould, we could check the area and realised there was a bit of flex on the hull.  Apparently nothing to be worry about according to the Jeremy Rogers Yard. But anyway we thought it could do no harm to reinforce the area with a little stringer, some glass matt and a bit of epoxy.

 

When the temperature dropped again we went back to our woodwork. The covering of the boat was a great idea and allowed us to use the cockpit as a workshop.

Forepeak under construction….

Making a template…

Measuring and cutting the plywood according to the template.

Here it comes….slowly slowly taking shape….

 

 

The hanging locker was reconverted to a 3 shelves cupboard. We thought it would be a bit more practical in hot climates were oilies are not so often in use.

Repairing the toilet floor with plywood.

Holes were drilled to allow the toilet hoses to get through.

Then we cracked on the woodwork in the saloon area with a huge template for the starboard berth.

 

It was Christmas Eve and since  we were going to spend all those days in the boat yard we had to decorate something… or someone…

 

EPOXY SESSION: PART 2    due to temperature rising (and we didn’t had the luxury to miss it)

25-12-2016 and WEST SYSTEM EPOXY WISHES YOU MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Reinforcing the toilet floor with a small stiffener.

And a piece of fiberglass cloth.

The Christmas epoxy fairy !

In the forepeak we had to create some kind of support for the V-berth without making it too heavy and ugly. The idea was to use epoxy and cloth in order to stick to the hull a pair of long plywood batten which could support the berth.

On Boxing day we finished the epoxy around 2 pm but we had to stay in the boat and keep the heater on for the temperature to stay high,
so we started drawing some holes in the pieces of plywood which were already cut to shape for the front cabin and the saloon.
Next day we opened the holes in the plywood and sand it to soften the sharp edges.

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s